Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Strategy for Outreach to Comcast re: Possible East Knox Greenway Connection?

Hi Brian,

I have no knowledge of Comcast's potential interest, I just have wishful thinking :)

In general, I'd like to see a trend of our local businesses both asking for and supporting greenway connections.

I understand this has happened a few times - but I'm unsure there's wide understanding that the city actively works with business owners on greenway connections and easements.

I think a valuable undertaking for the commission would be to craft a strategic "recruitment message" to draw potential partners / communicate the benefits of connecting a business to a greenway.

For example, there's that often quoted metric about how "home values increase near parks and greenways."

The figure was just repeated in the new 2015 Parks and Recreation Guide

However, there are also tangible and intangible benefits for businesses.

I know there are many articles, even scholarly journal articles, talking about how workers are happier and more productive with access to even just a few minutes of nature.  Businesses should infer that greenway access for employees translates to better performance, more satisfied employees, less turnover and training.

I'd like to see something of a "toolkit" for our corporate citizens to express interest in and/or financially support greenway connections or property easements.

Concerning how to contact Comcast to gauge interest:

I found this e-mail address:


Another, more personal approach might be to see who we know that knows someone at Comcast.

For example, by using LinkedIN I found two likely prospects:

Executive vice president for the central region based in Knoxville, Valerie Gillespie:


Vice President for Government and Community Affairs out of Atlanta, Andy Macke: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/andy-macke/3/76a/670

Before trying a cold call, it might be best to see if anyone on the commission is connected to a Knoxville based Comcast manager.

Any ideas off hand? I could also send out an e-mail to our group to inquire.

-Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment