Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Smoky Mountain Railway at Avenue A in Vestal

David,

You mentioned yesterday during the June 2015 Greenways Commission meeting you were unsure how the Smoky Mountain Railroad (Knoxville, Sevierville & Eastern) crossed Avenue A.

From the historical 1942 - 1953 maps, it seems to me the likely route passed beneath Avenue A:



I've not been out to the site myself, so I couldn't speculate as to whether that underpass was a tunnel or other structure.

Other years' maps are available online: http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/


More information on the railway itself is available online, and I've tagged in "Friends of the Smoky Mountain Railway" on this e-mail thread.


The "approximate" route from Knoxville to Sevierville is available as a digital map online:


Not many are aware the USGS has these historical topographic maps digitized;

I hope these historic map resources are useful for Greenway Projects related to the Knoxville, Sevierville & Eastern Railroad's historic route.

Thanks,

Tanner







No comments:

Post a Comment