Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Love's Creek Greenway Cost Per Mile, Model for First Creek?


Recent correspondence with Lori Goerlich, City of Knoxville Greenways Coordinator:

Hi Lori,

Congrats on the Love's Creek Greenway opening.

I'm very interested that it is made of crushed limestone.

My hope is that significantly reduced the cost of greenway miles I have been quoting people, $100,000 per mile.

I had a question from a community member concerning applying for a challenge grant towards extending the First Creek Greenway from the 6th Avenue Mural Site to Caswell Park.

I'm not sure that is the best use of Challenge Grant funds, since Greenways are better funded by massive grants like the TDOT Transportation Alternative Grant Clevelend was recently awarded in the amount of $495,978.

However, since I was asked if it's "possible" then I thought I might as well look at the idea.

Because the grant is small, I thought it might be worthwhile to look at a small parcel that could have a big impact.

So, I looked at the small piece of city-owned land connecting 6th Avenue across the Norfolk Southern tracks to Caswell Park.

It appears this parcel used to be part of the Southern railway spur to the old city.

A property map is below:

http://www.kgis.org/PropertyMapAndDetailsReport/PropertyReport2.aspx?parcelid=082PD00401

The Parcel connects Abilene Pl. to Caswell Park. According to KGIS the length is 248 feet.

My thinking is by creating a direct connection from 6th Avenue to Caswell Park, the $5,000 from a Challenge Grant might actually have an impact on Greenway Connectivity, since 6th Avenue is already well-suited for bike and pedestrian travel.

If the cost of the crushed limestone approach is under 248 feet per $5,000, I believe this might be something worth pursuing for the 2013 Challenge Grant.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment